This one-and-a-half day meeting was devoted to the identification of the industrial applications that are accessible to the ArtistDesign community and can provide a platform for the integration of the results of the joint activities of ArtistDesign. In the meeting we invited speakers from industry to present the future challenges they are facing.
The meeting was organized by Alberto Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, PARADES, with substantial contribution by Ed Brinksma, ESI.
The objectives of the meeting were:
- To review with industrial partners and affiliates the challenges to be faced in embedded system design in several vertical industrial segments;
- Based on these inputs, to select the design drivers for the integration activity;
- To plan for next year activities choosing the leaders for each vertical industrial segment.
The agenda was based on a two day event where ample time for discussions was allowed.
After the two-day presentation, the following areas were selected as design drivers for the activity of the industrial integration transversal activity:
- Transportation with emphasis on automotive and avionic. These two areas were combined since from a design flow point of view they shared enough common features to warrant a unified approach. The link to CESAR was emphasized as the Artemis project had exactly the same characteristics.OFFIS will drive and coordinate the activities in this area.
- Health care with emphasis on equipments. Health care is one of the core research areas of the EU for the foreseeable future. Since we are using the applications as drivers, we decided to focus on well-developed products to demonstrate the use of Artist Design technology. ESI will drive and coordinate this activity.
- Zero-energy buildings. This area is a growth domain for traditional industry such as construction, HVAC, monitoring and energy optimization. There is a strong push from the EU and the technical problems are challenging. The level of understanding of the academic partners in this domain is limited as it is a new area to most of them. PARADES will lead this effort.
We recommended having one-two yearly meetings per area at topical conferences and one-two plenary meetings at the annual Artist Design meeting and at one of the topical conferences such as Formal Methods where it is likely that most of the partners and a substantial contingent from industry will be present.
- The full minutes from the meeting are available here.